Favourite Terry Pratchett Characters

You probably heard that Sir Terry Pratchett passed away on March 12th. I am a massive fan of his Discworld series, he is one of my favourite authors. I met him in 2011 and I was extremely nervous and didn't say anything, however when Nathan got one of my other books signed (I made him line up with me haha) Sir Terry made fun of Nathans jeans haha. It was hilarious!  So today I decided to share my favourite characters that he created!

source
Sam Vimes, Commander of the City Watch. My absolute favourite Discworld character and one of my favourite characters of all time. Grizzled and cranky (that's putting it lightly), he can tell what part of Ankh Morpork he is in from the feel of the street through the thin soles of his boots. He marries Sybil Ramkin and at one point travels through time! Cracks me up constantly.  
source
Sybil Ramkin (later Sybil Vimes), she is an amazon of a  woman who is a big softie and breeds dragons and runs a dragon sanctuary. She's amazing. 
source
Rincewind -  a failed wizard (Wizzard!) of the Unseen University. He's kinda hopeless realyl, but hilarious. The first character I fell in love with when I first read The Colour of Magic. I have a soft spot in my heart for Rincewind. 
source
Death. If you haven't read any of the Discworld books starring Death than you're probably wondering why on earth he would be a favourite. He is absolutely hilarious, and in the Hogfather takes on a sort of Santa Claus role to deliver presents to children. HE SPEAKS ONLY IN CAPITALS.

Honourable mentions
  • Adora Belle Deerheart
  • Nobby Nobbs
  • Carrot 
  • Lord Vetinari 
I was truly saddened to hear that Sir Terry passed away, as soon as I read that he died peacefully, surrounded by his family and with his cat sleeping on the bed I burst into tears. His books have made me laugh and cry, he created so many amazing characters and I am forever thankful for that.
Megan xo


4 comments

  1. The news of Terry's passing was just so sad. I found at 4 30am and ran down to our room and woke up my partner to tell him (Terry Pratchett is his favourite author). It actually felt like a death in the family, because I suppose he has instilled our ethics and principles just as much as our parents probably did.

    Death is my favourite! I love how he basically wants to act like a normal human being but peoples ideas of death make him live in this dark, desolate place. With an umbrella stand!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out when I woke up and I was sitting alone in bed and just said "noooooo!" - I actually scared my cats! And you're right about Death! He's great

      Delete
  2. I have never read any of these books, but have always heard lovely things about them. Anyone who has created things you love passing is difficult, but especially authors as they have their own universe that they have created that (even if there no plans for continuing) will never grow (or at least not in the same way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! Thankfully, I think he told his daughter his plans for the future and she will continue writing the Discworld books!

      Delete