November 2013 Wrap Up

November was a great month, but I did not accomplish everything I wanted to. I only read ONE book...ONE! I set myself a goal and did not meet it, but I am choosing not to feel bad about that because it doesn't accomplish anything. Here are some of the good things that happened in November
  • I turned 26 and got spoiled by my friends and family 
  • I saw Neutral Milk Hotel and they were incredible!
  • I decorated for Christmas (I will probably share photos soon because I love it!)
  • I got to spend some time with a few friends and one of my brothers
  • It rained - A LOT! 
  • And I played Final Fantasy X....a lot more than I care to admit! 
December will be a fantastic month. I am going to Melbourne on the 13th for 4 days to visit one of my best friends. We have plans with friends for Christmas and we are having Christmas dinner at our house this year which will be a lot of fun. I really love Christmas, it reminds me of being a kid and I love giving gifts to my friends and family, it's one of my favourite things to do. I also have a few birthdays to be celebrated, so that means even more gift giving! Huzzah! Continue on after the photo of this cutie for reviews of books and movies I read/saw in November!

Books I Read
I loved this book! It is about a girl called Cinder who is a cyborg living in a world that doesn't approve of them, there is an incurable plague killing thousands, and one day when the prince of New Beijing visits her repair shop her world is pretty much turned upside down. The writing is fantastic, I love Cinders character and I am so excited for the next book in the series.

Movies I Watched
World War Z is one of my favourite books of all time. It's scary and creepy, and Max Brooks came up with some interesting scenarios. When I heard the movie was being made I was so excited, then I heard that it didn't really resemble the book and I decided to wait for the DVD. I am so happy I watched it though. It was quite creepy at times, and I don't mind Brad Pitt and he was quite good in it! The way the zombies turned quite quickly was something different (normally they have to die and then re-awaken), and the way they snapped their teeth and moved really quickly was freaking me out!! All in all, a very enjoyable film that Nathan and I both really liked!  

I really enjoyed this film! If you think Kristen Stewart can't act because she showed no emotion in the Twilight films, well guess what - Bella Swan is a boring character and I think she got her spot on. Stewart was good as Snow White, and Chris Hemsworth was a great Huntsman. I thought the best performance was by Charlize Theron who was very evil as Ravenna, the queen. It was quite a dark film, but when it got colourful it was absolutely beautiful. Overall, a really good movie that I would watch again. 

While I enjoyed this film, I didn't like it as much as the first one. I like Spock and Kirks relationship and I enjoy seeing it develop, however the best character is definitely Simon Pegg as Scotty - he cracks me up. The whitewashing of the Khan character is problematic, (seriously his name is Khan Noonien Singh!), although Benedict Cumberbatch was very good (I am not excusing or forgetting this Abrams!). I was really excited to see Klingons too, even if they were just in it for a minute! I was planning to go into the whole unnecessary semi-nudity but I think this article here and this one by the amazing Felicia Day do a much better job of explaining the issues with the representation of women in this film. Overall, I really liked the film but the cons outweighed the pros in my personal opinion.  

Hansel & Gretel 3/5
This movie was...OK. I like Jeremy Renner, but Gemma Arteron was probably my favourite. I love chicks who can kick butt. I liked the story and, but I wasn't too sure about modernising it, for instance the fancy guns and such that they used. Overall it was funny, but I probably won't watch it again.  

School of Rock 5/5
I went into this movie thinking I would hate it as I am not really a fan of Jack Black - he irritates me. However, it was so funny and I ended up loving it! Jack Black was actually good in it, and I loved the awesome kids. So good! 

So that's all for my wrap up this month, what did you get up to in November?!
Megan xo 

No comments